AREQUIPA INFORMATION USEFUL
Cradle of illustrious men and witness to innumerable heroic actions in pursuit of national freedom, Arequipa is one of the regions with greater protagonism in the history of the Peru. as are: Jose Vizcardo Guzmán, Mariano Melgar, Nicolas of Pierola, Victor Belaunde, Mario Vargas Llosa Arequipa is a land blessed by its splendid geography and beautiful cities. Whether it is the amazing Colca Valley, with its platforms and its colonial churches or their snow-capped mountains, which enclose ancient mysteries as the Juanita Mummy and the birth of the Amazon River; in the Cotahuasi Canyon, the deepest in the world. And don’t forget is of the volcano of the Misti with its 5 822 meters above sea level. The coastline the sea of Grau bathes the 430 kilometers of coastal Arequipa, the largest in the country and which presents more uniformity.
Waters have relatively cool temperatures, a phenomenon produced by the upwelling of deep water. Although almost not there are bays or peninsulas, instead itself are frequent the cliffs and beaches, some of these of several kilometers of extension.
The narrow coastal strip of the Department is limited by the Pacific Ocean and the Andean foothills. Its width depends on how close or far are the foothills of the coast, ranging from 5 km in Punta Lobos (penthouse) to 60 km to the North of Mollendo.
Mountain range of the coast a system of hills and elevations own, called Cordillera of the Costa, excels in the region South and also affects to them departments of Moquegua and Tacna, with altitudes variable that range between 1 000 and 1 500 meters on the level of the sea. The pampas, plains and arid land of variable width, are located between the Andean and Andean forests and are very common in the landscape of the Department.
By their valleys coastal, that run through the territory from North to South, run rivers of character regular or seasonal, constituting the system of drainage of the region. Stand out the valleys of Acari, Ocoña, Camaná, Majes, Tambo, Yauca, Chala, Penthouse, fishermen and Quilca, dedicated mainly to the exploitation of resources agricultural. Relief Andean it branch West of the Cordillera of them Andes crosses in the region in its part half. It is its sloping plateaus with different altitudes, sheltering valleys narrow and small, deep canyons like the Colca and Cotahuasi. It is crowned by large peaks ranging from 3 000 to 6 000 meters above sea level, usually covered with perpetual snow and ice. The most of these elevations are cones volcanic, as the Misti, Chachani, Picchu Picchu, Ampato, Coropuna, Solimana, Mismi and Sabancaya (this last, in activity from 1985). The region West of the Andes southern is known also as Cordillera volcanic.
The region of Arequipa presents different climates in its territory, that van from warm and tempered (own of the costa) until the glacier and of nieves perpetual (in the high mountains). It is warm in the coast, humid atmosphere and little rainfall.
To those thousand meters of altitude, the climate varies from Agropecuario to tempered, temperate and cold in the mountains that dominate the landscape; the temperature variation is noticeable between the Sun and the shade and between day and night.
In the high punas the temperature drops considerably, exceeding only in the warmest month 0 ° C. But is should have in account that this average can vary during the year. They are frequent the
precipitation of snow, with the highest incidence in the months of July and August, phenomenon that causes great economic losses among farmers and ranchers in the region. The rains in the region Andean fall regularly between the months of January and March. On the coast are frequent rain or reduction, as well as the mists to the ground.
In the Pacific Ocean flow key arequipeños rivers, born mostly of the Chila Cordillera. The Acari and the Yauca are born to the South of the Department of Ayacucho. The Ocoña and the Camana also belong to the basin of the Pacific. The Quilca is formed from the confluence of the rivers Sihuas and Vitor; This last is called Chili to its passage by the city of Arequipa.
To the South of the Department leads the Tambo River, which has its origin in Moquegua. In the summits of the nevado Mismi (5 597 meters on the level of the sea), in the Cordillera of Chila, is has could check the birth of the river Amazon, discovery that it converts in the more long and mighty of the world. In his birth is called Carhuasanta and in its travel adopts them names of Holy Tomás, Apurimac, Jan, Tambo, Ucayali and finally Amazon. masl.
stuffed rocoto (rocoto pepper baked with chopped meat, spices, cheese, eggs and milk), locro (with potato and meat stew), adobo (pork spicy thickened), aji de camarones, Ají de PEAR, kid to the oven, the Golden malaya and the Guinea pig or rabbit chactado. Traditionally, in Arequipa the meal begins with the chicha de jora, lighter and sweeter than others developed in southern Peru, and is which accompany us during our menu. Recommendations of the chef; It will start by a succulent shrimp chowder, followed by the flag of Arequipan cuisine, rocoto filling dish.
As main dish the Guinea pig or rabbit chactado, they will fulfill the expectations of all gourmet. Before continue, not come badly, an anise Najar, as digestive. Between them desserts, enjoy of great estimate them fritters (of flour, eggs and milk bathed in honey of chancaca), the cheese ice cream (ice cream based milk, cinnamon, coconut and species), them chocolates and them toffees, it leave to your choice.
- Anniversary, the 15 of August is celebrated the more important party civic by the anniversary of the city of Arequipa. One week Corsicans are performed by city, festivals of folk dances and fights of bulls.
- Jan 06: anniversary of Mollendo.
- 20 of January: feast of the Lord of the sentence, in remained.
- 02 February: feast of the Virgen de la Candelaria in the District of Chivay.
- 03 February: feast of the Virgen de la Candelaria district of Cayma and Characato. In Caraveli is celebrating the Virgin of the good step; them celebrations last four days and there are fights of gallo, bullfights of bulls and parades of horses of step. Easter, in the months of March and April are to solemn processions that preserve traditional customs.
- 01-03 of mayo: Fiesta of the Virgin of Chapi, to 45 km from the capital. Is made a pilgrimage to the shrine located to 45 kilometers from Arequipa.
- 14 to the 17 of July: feast of the Virgin of the Carmen in Carmen high, Yura.
- 15 of August: anniversary of Arequipa. Civico-religiosas festivities lasting a week with different artistic and cultural activities, cock fights, sports practices, burning of fireworks and parade of floats.
- 15 of August: feast of the Virgin Asunta, in the towns of Chivay, Andagua and Machaguay.
- 01 of November: day of all the Saints. Families flock to cemeteries carrying food and music to accompany their deceased.
- 09 November: day Jubilee of Camaná. All the population leaves to the streets to dance, sing and have fun is.
- 08 of December: feast of the Immaculate Conception in Chivay and Cayma.